The prestige of The Greppo dates back to the 19th Century, with the great wine culture of the family that owned this Estate, whose terroir has an extraordinary vocation for Sangiovese. Clemente began making wine using 100% Sangiovese and passed his wine knowledge to his nephew Ferruccio Biondi Santi, who, after the phyloxera came in the second half of the 19th century, isolated a clone of Sangiovese that gave birth to wines of extraordinary longevity. In 1888, Ferruccio produced the first bottle of Brunello di Montalcino.
The estate includes 47 hectares of land at The Greppo and 105 hectares at Pieri. Only 25 hectares are planted to Sangiovese Grosso. The oldest vines, totaling 5 hectares, date from 1930-1970; 8 hectares from 1988-1989; 6 hectares from 2000-2001; the youngest vines were recently planted in 2004-2006. Marled soils with heavy stones have been preferred by the family with southern, southeastern, eastern, northeastern and northern exposure.
The cropping yield is kept very low to between 3 & 5 tons per hectare. The current production rarely exceeds 80,000 bottles, including about 10,000 bottles of the “Riserva” which is only made in exceptional vintages.
Tenuta Greppo il Biondi Santi Brunello di Montalcino Riserva 1955 was named by Wine Spectator as one of the world’s best 12 wines produced in the 20th Century.